Most people who grind their teeth don’t even realize they have a problem because it happens while they sleep. A dentist can usually identify the signs of bruxism, the condition in which one grinds or clenches their teeth. Charlotte, NC dentist Dr. Richard Van Gurp is highly experienced with the management and treatment of sleep bruxism and the associated effects such as tooth wear, broken fillings and/or headaches.
Common signs of bruxism include:
- Premature wear on teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Broken fillings and/or crowns
- Headaches, especially in the morning
- Jaw pain or soreness
Treatment for Tooth Grinding
As with most dental concerns, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for teeth grinding. Dr. Van Gurp will evaluate your condition and design a treatment plan based on your condition. Often times a night guard is prescribed to prevent grinding and clenching during sleep.
- Teeth Grinding Mouth Guard: This removable appliance is best suited for patients with a balanced bite and healthy TMJ. The teeth grinding mouth guard is worn at night to protect teeth from grinding and clenching.
- Orthodontics: If your teeth are not in proper alignment, Dr. Van Gurp may recommend orthodontic treatment. Dr. Van Gurp is a Charlotte Invisalign® dentist. We can also refer you to a local orthodontist if more intensive treatment is needed.
- Bite Equilibration: Also known as bite correction therapy, this treatment involves making a series of adjustments to the teeth so that they fit together properly and eliminate stress and pressure.
- Restorative Dentistry: Once the bruxism has been successfully managed, the next step is often to repair worn or broken teeth. Dr. Van Gurp is one of the leading cosmetic dentists in Charlotte, NC and offers a wide range of procedures to restore beauty to the smile.