Originally from Allentown, PA, Dr. Richard Van Gurp is a graduate of The University of North Carolina Dental School in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He was a Dean’s List student throughout Dental School and was awarded membership into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Fraternity, one of the highest achievements in dentistry.
Dr. Van Gurp completed his General Practice Residency in Hospital Dentistry at Hartford Hospital in Hartford, CT. In 1988, Dr. Van Gurp opened his private practice in Charlotte, North Carolina.
A respected Charlotte cosmetic dentist with more than 20 years experience, Dr. Van Gurp also serves as a consultant to several national and international dental companies regarding new product development. His peers continue to seek his expertise as he lectures on the newest advances in dental technology.
Dr. Richard. W. Van Gurp
Professional Licenses: North Carolina, # 5645.
July 1988 – Present
- Private Practice, Charlotte NC, July 1988 – Present
- General Practice Residency in Hospital Dentistry
Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT July 1987 – June 1988
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, 1987
University of North Carolina School of Dentistry
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Bachelor of Science, Biology, 1982
Muhlenberg College, Allentown, Pennsylvania
- Consultant to Axis Dental Company on product development 2003 – 2008
- Program Committee, Holiday Dental Conference Foundation 2002 – 2004
- Consultant to Austin Dental Equipment Company (ADEC) regarding new product development, 2004
- Speaker on behalf of Patterson Dental Company regarding CEREC Technology, 2003 – 2006; States: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia
- North Carolina Dental Society Peer Review Committee 2001-2003
- Carolina’s Alliance for the Preservation of Private Care Dentistry, 1995-2001
- Center for Professional Development Practice Development Program, 1992-1993
- Center for Professional Development Mastership Program, 1993-1996
- American College of Dentists
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD)
- North Carolina Dental Society
- Charlotte Dental Society
- Academy of Sports Dentistry
- Academy of CAD/CAM (computerized) Dentistry
- American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
Community Involvement – Current
Through the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry’s “Give Back A Smile” Program, assist the survivors of domestic violence in reclaiming their lives and their smiles by treating the dental injuries they sustained as a result of the abuse.
Provide dental services to Belarussian children who travel to Charlotte for medical and dental care as a part of programs coordinated through local churches.
Volunteer to the Ada Jenkins Mobile Dental Bus – a fully equipped mobile dental office that provides excellent dental care to individuals in the greater Charlotte area who otherwise would not be able to have access to these services.
Extramural/Extracurricular Experiences (Dental School)
- Fayetteville Veterans Administration Hospital, Oral Surgery
- Cancer Education Program, North Carolina Memorial Hospital and UNC Chapel Hill School of Dentistry
- North Carolina Memorial Hospital, Hospital Rotation
- Orange County Health Department, Pediatric Dentistry
- Teacher’s Assistant, Microscopic Anatomy
- Student Admissions Committee
- UNC-CH Dental School Dean’s List, 1984, 1985
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon, Dental Honor Fraternity, 1987
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges, 1986-1987
- Awarded National Cancer Institute Summer Assistantship, 1986
- Muhlenberg College Dean’s List, 1982
- Study of Changes in Dimensional Stability During a Two-Stage Curing Process for the Fabrication of Closed Hollow Bulb Maxillary Obturators. National Cancer Institute Grant #17973
- Identification of High Caries Risk Children. Field Study with Dr. Harry Bohannan, The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Portland, ME, November 1986.