Most people who grind their teeth don’t even realize they have a problem because it typically happens while they sleep. A dentist can usually identify the signs of bruxism, the condition in which one grinds or clenches their teeth, during a thorough dental exam. Patients may also experience symptoms such as frequent headaches, jaw pain, neck pain, ringing in the ears or a jaw that clicks or pops.
Charlotte, NC dentist Dr. Richard Van Gurp is highly experienced with the management and treatment of bruxism and the associated effects such as tooth wear, broken fillings and/or headaches. He will evaluate the condition of you oral health during routine dental exams and look for common signs indicating a possible bite disorder or teeth grinding. Addressing teeth grinding and associated symptoms is important for the longevity of your smile and the integrity of your teeth. Left untreated, bruxism can lead to tooth damage or even tooth loss.
Common signs of bruxism include:
- Premature wear on teeth
- Abraded tooth enamel
- Sensitive teeth
- Broken fillings and/or crowns
- Headaches, especially in the morning
- Jaw pain or soreness
Treatment for Tooth Grinding
As with most dental concerns, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for teeth grinding. Dr. Van Gurp will evaluate your condition and design a treatment plan based on your condition. Often times a night guard is prescribed to prevent grinding and clenching during sleep.
- Teeth Grinding Mouth Guard: This removable appliance is best suited for patients with a balanced bite and healthy TMJ. The teeth grinding mouth guard is worn at night to protect teeth from grinding and clenching.
- Orthodontics: If your teeth are not in proper alignment, Dr. Van Gurp may recommend orthodontic treatment. Dr. Van Gurp is a Charlotte Invisalign® dentist. We can also refer you to a local orthodontist if more intensive treatment is needed.
- Bite Equilibration: Also known as bite correction therapy, this treatment involves making a series of adjustments to the teeth so that they fit together properly and eliminate stress and pressure.
- Restorative Dentistry: Once the bruxism has been successfully managed, the next step is often to repair worn or broken teeth. Dr. Van Gurp is one of the leading cosmetic dentists in Charlotte, NC and offers a wide range of procedures to restore beauty to the smile.
Explore Topics Related To Bruxism
- Restorative Dentistry
- TMJ Therapy
- Frequent Headaches
Schedule An Appointment
If you have symptoms of teeth grinding, have teeth that are worn or damaged or are concerned you may be grinding your teeth, schedule a visit with Dr. Van Gurp. We welcome new patients and offer compassionate, personalized dental care in our Charlotte dentist office. To schedule an appointment, contact us at (704) 746-3160 or request one online.